Protecting and monetizing intellectual property (IP) in the cannabis industry is an important but challenging step for most businesses. The market is highly dynamic and competitive, and in addition to state and local rules, federal law creates an unusual environment. Several cannabis businesses have established significant market share through the creation and leveraging of intellectual property. Others have been served demand letters or lawsuits because their branding allegedly infringes upon existing protected IP – whether owned by cannabis businesses or non-cannabis businesses. As a corporate cannabis law firm serving the marijuana industry since 2010, we have seen just about every possible scenario.
On Thursday, May 17, at 12pm PST Harris Bricken will present a lunch-hour webinar entitled “Navigating Intellectual Property in the Cannabis Industry” to help you gain a high-level understanding of cannabis IP and how to use it. Vince Sliwoski will moderate a discussion by intellectual property attorneys Alison Malsbury, John Mansfield, and Mike Atkins, who will provide a detailed overview of what you need to know to protect your cannabis brand. The attorneys will cover topics such as the following:
- Categories of goods and services eligible for IP protection
- Federal protections available to cannabis businesses
- The importance of copyrights, trade secrets, patents, and trademarks to your cannabis business
- IP hurdles cannabis business owners frequently encounter
- IP licensing, both within state borders and across state lines
- How to avoid cannabis IP disputes, and what to do in the case of a dispute
Questions will be taken throughout the presentation. To register for this free webinar, please go here. We look forward to this discussion!
Go to Source
Author: Canna Law Blog